Friday, February 18, 2011

GAFFTA field trip

GAFFTA- Gray Area Foundation for the Arts
Located at 998 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94102
http://www.gaffta.org/2010/12/20/zimoun-solo-exhibition/


Thinking about our visit to GAFFTA, I am now kicking myself for consciously choosing not to take a photo of the interesting didactic posted on the wall at GAFFTA. It was all about ants. I wouldn't say I have a previous affinity for ants, in fact, I do not particularly care for insects... I can't remember what it said exactly but what I got from it is that ants have a consciousness that is not dissimilar from our own. I found it strangely compelling to juxtapose a didactic like this for (and seemingly unrelated to) the mechanized installations and sculptures by Swiss artist Zimoun. But I thought, maybe this served some sort of philosophic message: that there is life in the unlikeliest and ostensibly insignificant places.

Other than that, GAFFTA was a great place to visit. Like my other favorite places to visit, this had a meditative quality. Best of all, visits are donation only... so visit if you're in the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment